Company Overview Visit lear.com website
Lear.com is a brand that manufactures and sells automobile parts to automotive technicians, as well as to those who are interested in auto repairs. The company was founded in 1903 by Henry M. Leland under the name "Leland Motors." In 1911, it changed its name to "Lincoln Motor Company," which was then bought by Ford Motor Company in 1922 and moved to Detroit Michigan. Lincoln Motor Company continued its operations under Ford until 1927 and eventually dissolved around 1940.
Lear Corporation (further referred to as Lear) was established on May 1st, 1950, as a way of continuing the production of Lincoln automobiles after it ended for several years – however – there were no cars produced until 1952 at the earliest- instead the focus shifted toward racing cars.
Lear originally began as a producer of ball bearings and took part in the design and production of bomber planes during World War II. In 1953, it started to create car parts, which was made available for sale in 1958 – after almost ten years of research and development. The first Lear factory was located in Detroit Michigan – where it still stands today. In 1994, Lear moved its headquarters from Bloomfield Hills MI to Southfield MI, where they made several new acquisitions for automotive business ventures- which included the purchase of Dura Automotive Systems from Dow Chemical Company for 1 billion dollars.